Friday, July 2, 2010

randomized

'twas a year ago that I was in the thick of the most miserable/awesome week of my life... or at least top 5. Senior Excursion 2009 was supposed to be a week of sun and fishing and miles of canoeing, but it turned out to be a week of wet, rain, and surviving. I honestly wouldn't have had it any other way. We had to share about ourselves and I sobbed like a chef chopping a dozen onions when talking about the"why?" I have with the Big Guy... and then again on affirmation night... it was like 2 hours of tears. ha! no one else cried... just me... what can I say, I'm a softy.
We had an opportunity to tell those around us how we felt about them, and after a week of sleep deprivation and hypothermia and non-stop rain (sans the canoe Olympics) you start to love the one's you're with. Plus these kids were my first class of freshman and so they hold a nice big place in my heart. It was really, really good times.
A year later I'm dry and I haven't seen any of them for days and even months! One is in Georgia, one is in California, two are down the road (but working), one is "away" all summer (and i wasn't cool enough to get to hang during the latest homestand), and one is alllllll the way in Lakeville. In case you were wondering where they all were... ha!
I'm SUPPOSED to be in Utah right now, but that fell through. *eyes roll* Next year, I hope...
I really want to be the outdoorsy type. Its not that I'm anti-outdoors, I just don't spend enough time going and doing the hiking or camping that I could and should. I have all the top of the line equipment. When I was in YNP we went hiking at least twice a week, and camping as often as we could... But when the destination is mountains and postcard views around every corner its a bit easier to find the motivation. Not to mention a dozen cool people and easy on the eyes ladies.
As it is, I'm at least 3 tanks of gas away from a mountain worth photographing, I don't think I could find a dozen of my friends who own hiking boots, and the ladies... well that's a whoooole 'nother post.
Methinks the suburbs are stifling. I would love to live in Uptown or NordEast. Quaint cafes and watering holes peppered with consignment stores and bike shops... neighborhoods who have block parties and gatherings on their stoops. like an episode of Cosby... only pale-er. someday, I suppose... give me either mountain ranges or urban streets, anything is better than the blah of B-ville... Don't get me wrong, I thank God for a roof over my head and a garage in which I can park my car, but I think my next move has gotta be big. Nothing imminent, but someday... b.i.g., big.
Tonight was a super sweet convo with the surrogate parental-types on their backyard deck. Good food, good lemonade, good talk. Good fun. 'tis a Good God we serve, aye?
And the hits just keep on rollin' this weekend is cabin fever with another fantastic family that has all but adopted me. fools. :) Blessings abound, man. blessings abound.
In summation: Canoe tipping is no joke, mountains are my mecca, Co-Ops give me warm fuzzies, and I am loved.
Good Things.

No comments: