Friday, July 30, 2010

no Victors... but...

Today I had 2 ears of corn burning a hole in my counter so I decided to make corn pancakes like the ones I had at the famous Victor's 1959 Cafe in south Minneapolis.  I had them 3 months ago and I haven't stopped thinking about them... for real.  So today I decided to give it a go at making them in my very own kitchen.  I sort of guess on how to make them- cornmeal, flour, milk, oil, egg, butter and 2 ears of corn ground up.  The thing I like about them is they're easy to flip- the corn meal holds them together nicely.  Ever since last year in the BWCA (intro BlooGoo), I've had a phobia of flipping buttermilk pancakes... I'm just not good at it.  Comparatively, corn pancakes are a cakewalk. 
Overall, they're a solid B.  I need more salt and more fresh corn- perhaps creamed corn will give it the zing that I'm looking for.  My great failure of the month comes from my attempt at frying plantains.  If you're not familiar with the plantain- they're a super hard, crazy fibrous banana with a really hard peel.  Well I had no idea what to look for in a plantain at the grocery store so I bought two that were very, very green... yeah...  they were not at all ripe.  So after like a half an hour of slow frying them in brown sugar and way too much butter I attempted to eat the charred fruit.  It was not at all appealing.  I did a lot of things wrong, chief of which leaving them much too large... Ironically the Iron Chef:America episode on today was battle banana, so after I threw mine away, I watched the Iron Chef amazing fried plantains.  gotta flatten them says Bobby Flay.  Now he tells me!
SO, while I am not yet Cuban, within a couple of weeks methinks I'll be tan, speaking with and accent and enjoying fine cigars.  The food makes the man, right?

No comments: