Sunday, March 14, 2010

verification box

Last week as I was buying my tickets for the Labor Day weekend of Dave Matthews Band and Ben Harper shows in Seattle (I’m so stoked!!), I had to enter in a verification code. You know what I’m talking about, right? The box with the random words that are kind of skewed and you enter them in the box below in order to combat against spammers and whatnot. Well the two random words I got were “Emmanuel Detached” true story.

My first reaction was, “Wow, ‘Emmanuel’ is an odd word for a verification box!” But then I started to think about what that phrase means. “Emmanuel detached” is an oxymoron, really. Emmanuel means “God with us”; it is the opposite of detached. It screams God is attached to us! He longs to be with us and near us and among us! He loves us and desires to know us intimately- insomuch as He would take on human flesh and become fully man. He ate, drank, slept, cried, and laughed just like you and me. And He did it so we would be freed from the chains of sin and eternal death! That’s not a God who’s detached, rather it’s a God who is love. He longs for us to be in communion with Him, reflecting His love in our thoughts and words and actions, and through faith we know He is literally living within us, not by our thinking or choosing, but by the power of the Holy Spirit though the water and Word of baptism. Totally unbelievable, if it wasn’t absolutely true!
God became flesh and made His dwelling among us… so that I don’t have to be burdened with guilt or sin or the worry of death… wow.
…more thoughts on this later…

No comments: