Wednesday, March 10, 2010

'Tis a fine line 'tween funny and... not.

So I’m reading this book by Jeff Garlin called My Footprint it’s good. It has struck a chord with me that I didn't expect. I think I’ll talk about it more later. I’m thinking…hoping… it’ll spark a pretty significant and important change… that’s for another time…
TODAY I read a couple pages about sarcasm. Jeff Garlin is a comedian. He writes/produces/directs Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO. He’s also in movies- like Daddy Day Care and he’s the voice of the Captain in Wall-E. He’s a funny man. But he HATES sarcasm. He says this about sarcasm, “I do not enjoy sarcasm. In fact, I’m leading a charge against sarcasm. Sarcasm is one of the easiest forms of humor, requiring no comedic talent whatsoever. All you have to do is say the opposite, with a tinge of sarcasm in your voice and you’re off to the races. You’re not being clever or funny, you’re being sarcastic… Don’t ever do sarcasm with kids. They need to know when you’re being serious.”

I think this is good advice. I am so often guilty of cheap and pathetic sarcasm. And I think it cheapens me. I like to think of myself as quick-witted and kinda funny at times, but so often (too often) I rely on sarcasm to keep the chuckles going. People whom I've known for a while know when I’m serious and when I’m not. But in my profession and at my stage of life I should be much more approachable- it shouldn’t be just those who know me well that “get me”. Sarcasm preys on people. It makes people look silly or gullible in order to get a laugh. It also confuses people and I think I’m in much to important and delicate position to have someone confused or alienated because they didn’t understand that the large, loud man laughing with (at) them was actually kidding.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I crossed too many lines too often. Some people are so sarcastic they never stop and you can never ever have any sort of a serious conversation with them. I’ve found that those are also the people who will vocalize loudly and often how they have a serious side and they are indeed responsible… what they don’t understand is everyone is so sick of them that they don’t want to hang around long enough for the fog of sarcasm to subside. I don’t think I’m that guy. I hope and pray I’m not that guy. I think I maybe used to be him, but I am no longer... I hope... I am, however, one who gets nervous around awkward situations and nothing breaks up awkwardness like a good laugh- so I go for the easy zing… which is often found in sarcasm.

Regardless of the reasons why I revert to sarcasm, I will now make a conscious effort to avoid it- especially when dealing with kids and always when working with someone who is new. I don’t want to put people off because my humor is belittling and cheap. I need to be cognizant (is that really how you spell that word??) of the power of first impressions and the off-putting nature of trying too hard to be quippy. This is going to take some time to get used to… but I will no longer rely on sarcasm… starting tomorrow.

Having said that, I will always be sarcastic with my dad. I feel like that’s “our thing”. My dad can be really sarcastic, and sometimes it’s kinda annoying, but usually it is funny and you come to expect some sort of quip in conversation. I always try to keep up with him. There are few things more gratifying than making my dad laugh. He gets sarcasm and enjoys it, so around him… it’s on. Also, “For a Point”, you’re grandfathered in too. :)

TODAY I LEARNED: there is no “i” in sarcasm. “sarcasim” seems so right, yet is so very wrong.

TODAY I LEARNED ABOUT GOD: Friends are friends forever if the Lord’s the Lord of them.

No comments: