Thursday, February 11, 2010

relatively...

I have some thoughts knocking around about this:
http://theooze.tv/thinkfwd/nick-fiedler-hopefully-skeptic
your thoughts?

Personally, I don’t know where to start… this is my generation. We have always had what we wanted when we wanted it how we wanted. It’s no wonder we don’t expect our religion to be tailor made. we can pick and chose like Jefferson and create our own ideal...
The whole idea that you need to be skeptical in order to have real faith is insulting. Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see. Nothing in there about skepticism making it genuine. Granted, I have had doubts. Lots of them, and I’ve over come those doubts by diving into the Word and knowing the nail-marked hands of our Savior is holding me close to His heart. I don’t consider my faith any more genuine or real, I just thank God that he would use something like my human desire to figure stuff out and use it to being me closer to Him…
More than that, however, the concept of customizing my religion is so bunk! Who am I to say that I know better than God? I understand His will and his gift of prayer (for instance) better than He? Praying to ask for things is a waste of time? Pray unceasingly, Paul tells us. The Lord’s Prayer asks to give us our daily bread and to deliver us from evil… no conversation with the Most High is ever a waste of time. Blah. I really can’t clearly get across my sadness for this guy and the fear I have for the future of the church in America… post modernism really bums me out.

this is fitting, I think:
"Even our beliefs have become trend statements. We don’t even believe things because we believe them anymore. We only believe things because they are cool things to believe. The problem with Christian belief—I mean real Christian belief, the belief that there is a God and a devil and a heaven and a hell—is that it is not a fashionable thing to believe."
- Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz

No comments: