Sunday, January 3, 2010

on Xena once as a gnome or something...

First of all, I can’t figure out why the timestamp is 2 hours behind Central time… It’s odd.
Anyway, it’s Sunday night, and for a long time that means I watch Garden State. An odd tradition, I know, but it was started by good people a long time ago, and while I haven’t observed said tradition in a long time, tonight I shall.

I love this movie so much. I’m not a huge Zach Braff fan at all, but this film hits me hard every time I watch it. The soundtrack is amazing, and I have a TREMENDOUS emotional attachment to it. That’s a whole ‘nother bla(g)h post, let me tell ya…

But I think the thing I love the most is Natalie Portman’s character, Sam. I really don’t know what it is about her, but I absolutely love her. Rarely do I find a character I enjoy. Honestly, I’ve never watched a movie and said, “we should hang out!” Don’t get me wrong, I have no delusions of Sam being real but yet there IS a real-ness to her and I sometimes find myself thinking that people I meet are kinda like her… OK that sounds weird… I assure it’s not… shut up!

I do get bummed about the story a little, though. I mean the dude hasn’t really lived for 20 years- he’s been so medicated on anti-depressants and whatnot. I just think the story could go in so many directions- I like the love story- but some of the mundane discoveries would have been great to see- much like Wall-E, ya know?

Looking on IMDB (I didn’t know if Zach was a Zack or not…) The first discussion in the boards is: “I wish I could meet a girl who's as quirky, adorable, and likable as Sam. She's someone who you can sit with for hours and just talk about everything going on in your life.“
Matthew Moviebuff… you and I are kindred spirits…

I dunno, growing up is the trippiest thing ever, man. I’m just figuring out that there is no blueprint for getting older, and “normal” is really a nebulous concept. Feeling comfortable in one’s own skin is obviously key to growing up, but even that… I mean, how do you do it? Where do you look for validation? What do you let go and what is it OK to hang on to? Ugh. Its wild… I guess that’s what I get from this film, and in a really cheesy way it makes it
OK to be me. Yeah… that and it’s just a good, quirky story that I enjoy watching on Sunday nights, just to be nostalgic. Good times.

Sigh. 3 posts into this lovely bla(h)g and I am frustrated at my lack of eloquence… I thought that having an opportunity to write my thoughts would make them flow as a babbeling brook descending down an alpine mountain… so far… not so much… here’s to free flowing thoughts as we progress, aye?

As Sam says, “My mom always says that, when she can see I'm like working something out in my head, she's like, 'you're in it right now' and I'm looking at you while you're telling this story, and you're definitely in it.”
...I really want to be in it.

No comments: