Monday, January 25, 2010

the musical history of me... kinda...

OK so I’ve been thinking about this post for a long time, but to actually put it all together has proven to be quite daunting.
Music is a huge part of my life… perhaps the hugest… My life has been one big musical journey, and I can vividly remember many events and people because of the music with which they’re associated. It is no secret that I love the show Dawson’s Creek. There are several reasons why- chief of which being Katie Holms, of course- but I love how there’s always the perfect song playing when the moment is right… that’s how my brain works… anyway… here is a musical history of me.

My parents are both music lovers- as are my grandparents (my mom’s parents never missed an episode of Lawrence Welk). My dad’s vinyl collection was extensive. I remember the smooth tones of John Denver and Andy Williams playing as a kid. But I also remember Keith Green and Evie. Other early influences were Amy Grant, Sandi Patti, and my all-time favorite Petra. Then my dad got into Michael Card, and my affinity for acoustic guitar began. I also remember when my dad came home with a tune he had heard on the radio and he made my mom and I sit down immediately and listen. The album was Ray Boltz’s Allegiance, and the song was “Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb”. Great album; awesome song. Ray Boltz’s “Watch the Lamb” always made my mom cry.

While my parents were rockin’ to Fernando Ortega, my brother was in high school and had some amazing CD’s that I often pillaged to make MixTapes a’plenty. Amazing stuff like Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, STP, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Tori Amos, Beastie Boys, and of course Nirvana were all in his CD rack. I used to listen to those albums for hours on end. About that same time (7th grade) a class mate, Geoff Luckman gave me a super sweet mixtape that had Ugly Kid Joe’s “Cats in the Cradle”, Metallica’s “Master of the Puppetts” and G&R’s “Paradise City” on it. I didn’t really understand the lyrics, but I really dug the tunes… My neighbor Shawn was big into Michael Jackson, and we’d watch Thriller over and over again. He and I would go to the library all the time- I’d get stuff like Bobby McFerrin, Randy Travis, Michael W. Smith, and Canadian Brass, and every CD Weird Al Yankavich ever made.

Can you see how eclectic my tastes are? By 8th grade (1995) my buddy Drew got into rap hardcore. He exposed me to the likes of Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, NWA, CB40, Onyx, Notorious B.I.G, Tupac Snow, and Vanilla Ice. I, of course, couldn’t own any of that stuff, but we’d listen to it in his basement after our Saturday bowling matches.

It was May of 1995 that I bought my first two CD’s I ever. Nirvana Unplugged and Green Day Dookie. I bought them because Alison Fox was having a big party and I wanted to bring some cool tunes. Both those albums absolutely rocked my world. I still have both of them, and they still get a lot of use.

My Freshman year of high school was filled with Boyz II Men, Az Yet, Hootie and the Blowfish, and the like. I didn’t know any better… That was also the year I met Chris Eisenbeis. Chris was a musical god. He got me into the Beatles and the Who and the Eagles, to name a few. At the same time a super cool dude named Dayton got me into Silverchair. Frogstomper was a kickin’ CD. Not only that, but every morning I got a ride from my buddy Jake’s dad who would listen to the local classic rock station every morning, so that opened my eyes to a lot of solid music that really changed everything. Jars of Clay was also introduced to me the summer of my freshman year.
Other early high school influences were Michael W. Smith and Glad and Eric Clapton Unplugged. Outkast’s ATLiens landed in my locker in 1996. I’ve loved them ever since.

I started hanging out with Marshall Engstrom sophomore year. With him came pop punk and ska. Stuff like Blink, Skankin’ Pickle, Homegrown, and Reel Big Fish were favorites. Along with him were the Dumann brothers. They got me into Christian punk ska- OC Supertones, Five Iron Frenzy, and Insiderz were all bands we’d go see at the New Union. On the other side of the coin I got into Dave Matthews and Ben Folds Five around the same time.

WOW. I’m writing this and I’m bored… haha let me skip ahead a little…
My first ever college roommate was Wade Murray- he had a Bebo Norman album that truly changed my life. Because I loved 10,000 days so much I got into Andrew Peterson, Jason Gray, Ceadmon’s Call, and Jackson Browne. That was huge. REALLY fast forward to 2004 and we have my meeting Mikel Lauber. He really made me who I am today = ). He is a music lover and I kept on asking for a mixtape from him. He sent me two tunes that made me change musical course. “Mexico” by Jump Little Children and Clem Snide’s “Beautiful” officially got me into indie rock. From there I got into Guster and Muse and Postal Service and DC4C… to name a few. Not only that, but he gave me the Garden State Soundtrack… Plus he got me back into Ben Folds. For that alone I’m forever grateful.
I have always had a huge music collection, but with exception of Garth Brooks: the Hits, there was no country. Well, I decided a couple of years ago that in order to be truly well-rounded and more attractive to the opposite sex (chicks dig country) I would have to venture into Nashville songs. SO, $100 later on iTunes and I became a HUGE fan of Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, and Taylor Swift. My iPod now really has everything!
Yeah… I could go on for at least another 3 pages, but I’ll stop… this is really really boring! haha I hope no one actually read this far… Bottom line, I have always been drawn to people who love music. The tunes you dig says a lot about you and your character, I think. People who are into great music and love to hear new stuff make me happy. Jason Gray told me that the saddest thing he sees in today’s young people is they don’t seem to love music like we did as kids. I’m not one to ever doubt Jason Gray’s wisdom, so I’d have to agree. : )

Here’s a list of the albums that have made biggest impact on my life. You could call them life-changing:

Bebo Norman, 10,000 Days
Outkast, Stankonia
Ben Folds Five, Forever and Ever Amen
Petra, Praise: The Rock Cries Out
Nirvana, MTV Unplugged in New York
Nirvana, Nevermind
Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dreams
Jason Gray, A Place Called Hope
Dave Matthews Band, Crash
The Garden State Soundtrack
Jars of Clay, Jars of Clay
Jars of Clay, Much Afraid
Reel Big Fish, Turn the Radio Off
Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory
Weezer, Blue Album
Michael W. Smith, I’ll Lead You Home
Ray Boltz, Allegiance
Awesome God: A Tribute to Rich Mullens

Ugh. What a disappointing post. I’m sorry that you had to go through this…

WHAT I LEARNED TODAY:
Snow+wind= craptastic driving.

WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT GOD TODAY:
I’m seeing more and more His role in history. He has kept his people safe and has preserved His church in amazing ways. I’m jus now learning about how amazing they are. He’s good.

No comments: