Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh Happiness!

Well I’m a little disappointed with myself. I have been bla(h)ging everyday- which is great- but I’ve been approaching it like it’s an assignment or something. I’ll put something silly down just to be able to “turn it in”… that certainly was not the goal of this exercise in dedication, linguistics, and therapy. Alas, some days are just to muddled with the mundane to put any real thought into a bla(h)g post, and so it is what it is.

Today was an interesting day. I started off a little later that I usually do. Just 30 minutes, but it made a big difference when it came to people on the road. There were easily 50% more cars on 169 with me than there would be a half an hour earlier. 50% more cars to drive slowly and erratically and to drive ME insane. MAN I was road-ragin’ hardcore. I just wanted to set my cruise and sort of tune out whist listening to the smooth Scandinavian genius of Siagar Ros… but NO! This panel van (sent from Satan himself, no doubt) decided to hang out in the left lane and fluctuate between 60 and 80 as I tried to get around him… I’m sure he was amused. I was not. Sigh.
Nonetheless, I got to school all safe and sound like with 6 minutes to spare. If the worst thing in my day was a moron panel-van driver… than I’m doing OK.

I’ve been exploring more Brennan Manning lately. He’s a philosopher of sorts. As well as a theologian/former priest/ recovering alcoholic/ man whom I greatly admire. He puts the intimacy of God and His desire for a relationship with us in such poetic terms, you have to read his books three times before you can truly appreciate all he’s trying to say.
His latest work is called “The Furious Longing of God”, and is just as fantastic as all his writing. He says this,


"I believe the Christianity happens with men and women experience the reckless,
raging confidence that comes from knowing the God of Jesus Christ.” … “The
shattering truth of the transcendent God seeking intimacy with us is not served
by gauzy sentimentality, schmaltz, or a naked appeal to emotion, but rather the
boiling bouillabaisse of shock boarding on disbelief, wonder akin to
incredulity, and affectionate awe tinged by doubt.”
And that God’s longing to be with us

“...cannot be tamed, boxed, captivated, housebroken, or templebroken. It is simply
and startlingly Jesus, the effulgence of the Father’s love.”


And that’s just the
first chapter!!!
I think Conservative Lutherans are quick to quell the introduction of human emotion into the Christian experience. They call those who are emotional about their faith “pietists” and “schwarmers”. I understand where they are coming from- I really do- if our faith is dependant on emotions, then we are on a collision course with disaster. You needn’t spend more than 2 hours with a teenage girl to see that emotions are flighty, fickle, vast, and often baseless. The last thing we want is for our God to see our faith as fickle and manic.
Having said that, when you consider the tremendous sacrifice that our God- our creator- made for Him to once again be close to us… how can you NOT but fall on your knees in awe? How can you look at God on a cross- for YOU- and not feel anything? How can you not get chills when “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” is belted out on Easter morning, or “Abide With Me” is sung at a funeral? Have we forgotten that Jesus wept and David danced (naked even!) and the centurion beat his breast? Are those not all emotions?

Regardless, Manning squashes those who are fickle in their emotions and says that our faith is NOT schmalty and wavering, rather it is built on the Rock-solid Word of God! The fact that God became man should blow our minds, and we teeter on doubting in order for us to fully appreciate what the incarnation means; because CERTAINLY- according to our small human minds- it’s too good to be true!
I mean, God wanted so much to be reunited with us that He gave up His own Son to pay the price we could not afford. And now, because of a grace we cannot begin to fathom He has taken up residence within us! This HAS TO be too good to be true! But the glorious truth is that it IS true, and Heaven is ours for eternity because of it! And from that knowledge flows an outpouring of our faith-we boldly and unabashedly profess Christ Crucified… It is then seen in all we think, say, and do, and we love God by loving others with reckless abandon. May that be our purpose in life!

As David Crowder puts it at the end of his fantastic new album church music,

Oh, happiness!
There is grace enough for us
And the whole human race
From the full streams
Of Your care
All who come
Begin again
Hard or friend
Rich or poor
All who need
Need fear no more
Such a thing to give away!
Sound the church bells
Let 'em ring
Let 'em ring
For everyone IS (my Lutheranizing) redeemed
We ARE redeemed
All of us!
All regrets
Let go, forget
There's something that
Mends all of that!
Such a thing to give away!
Oh, happiness!
There is grace enough for us
And the whole human race!

Man… that is awesome.

Song of Solomon 2:10-13 (New International Reader's Version)

10 He said to me, “Rise up, my love. Come with me, my beautiful one.
11 Look! The winter is past. The rains are over and gone.
12 Flowers are appearing on the earth. The season for singing has come. The
cooing of doves is heard in our land.
13 The fig trees are producing their early fruit. The flowers on the vines
are giving off their sweet smell. Rise up and come, my love. Come with me, my
beautiful one.”




What I learned today:
Today I learned what courage looked like, and I’m still so proud… this too WILL pass. I promise.
What I learned about God today:
God preserves His church in amazing ways. From Joash being spared, to Luther, to the Creeds and Confessions creating a remarkable profession of Faith; God’s providence is truly amazing.

No comments: