Wednesday, January 27, 2010

back in the day...

SO I’m in an odd season of my life right now. The fact that I’m mere days away from my 29th birthday is a crazy trip… and the aforementioned peers all married with children and a little stagnation in on the work front have all sort of put me in a frame of mind that I haven’t ever been in before… This school thing is truly the most difficult- mentally, physically, emotionally endeavor I have ever been a part of- at least for this long of time. I’m actually glad about that, though. I was in the habit of cruising through life and talking my way out of any strenuous activity. The fact that this adventure is as taxing as it is makes me really appreciate the light at the end of the tunnel. As Lucille Ball said, “In life, all the good things come hard.”
As for my job, I really think the Lord is preparing me for a change. What/Where/When? I have no idea, but there’s an unsettled tinge in my soul… something that’s never been there before, and I have a feeling change is afoot. We’ll see…
Regardless, I’m in a bit of a rut right now- not necessarily a bad rut, I just have more parameters on my time than I have had for more than half a decade. So it’s easy to think of times gone by, and reminisce. As I was writing my SUPER boring musical history (again, sorry for that…) I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed by the memories that all those albums and songs have attached to them. And so, I am going to list some of the best seasons of my life tonight. My reasons are twofold: ONE- to make my heart smile and feed the human desire to long for the “good old days”, and TWO- to remind myself that after every rain there is the sun, and good times lay ahead… I just don’t know how far down the road they’re laying…
SO some good times (again, anyone reading this will find it totally boring, probably narcissistic, and downright confusing… but it’s not for you, so deal with it. :-) )
In no particular order:

Winter/spring 2005- I was at Bethany… for the 2nd time… working hockey production, side-kicking “The Show with Mikel Lauber”, acting in “Ruddagore”, getting ready for choir tour, getting back from band tour… great times. PLUS Mike and I would head to New Ulm to hang at Kagel with the best group of girls I’ve ever known… and, of course, staying at Jefferson house with all the roommates… the Fate-ful birthday… the luckiest day ever- (the day after St. Patrick’s Day was a HUGE snow storm and we got stuck in New Ulm)… discovering the Luckiest… filming my movie (OK that wasn’t ALL good times, but still a fun experience…) finding the Oleander… Working for Lo… every facet of life was a complete and total joy. Hard to believe I walked away from it…

Summer 2002- YNP. Greatest. Summer. EVER. There is way too much to list. Mountains. People. Great job. Daily adventures… it just got better and better every day. I fell in love with Wyoming, and I really fear going back someday because it will never be in reality what it is in my head (if that makes any sense). Just looking at pictures honestly makes me cry because I know I will never have such an amazing experience like that ever again. Totally and completely awesome in every way. Sadly, I left that for China, and while China was a fantastic time, it paled in comparison...

Summer 2003- 22 and loving life. Just got back from China, Working at the OG with some wonderful people, all the old crew was still together. Late, late, late nights on 1st Ave. HenkelPalooza… landscaping with the boys… twins games (25 of them!) with the matt’s and jaker… In hindsight, I did some really stupid stuff, but had a great time doing it :-) It would have been awesome if digital cameras existed back then like they do now, because there would have been a TON of memories caught on film… then again, maybe its OK they didn’t…

Spring 1998- I really consider this time of my life as the time I became who I am… I had put the crap of sophomore year (aka the Frey era) behind me… I started doing the things I enjoyed… got into some great music, made some new relationships, and was in the spring musical, H.M.S. Pinafore. That was a really, really fun play and the people were so great… The lessons I learned in those 3 or 4 months really shaped me, and I’ll forever look back on that time fondly. Talk about a turn around, too. 1997 was most definitely my darkest time, but that spring junior year everything sad came untrue.

OK I’ve gone on long enough… you’re all thoroughly bored, I’m sure. Bottom line: I know God is near and His plan is greater than my greatest plan, but that doesn’t make the lessons I’m learning right now any less difficult. So I forge ahead knowing I’m not alone and that my times and my future are squarely in the hands of the Almighty- right where they should be. Good times ahead!

What I Learned Today:
This is so silly, but I always thought Esther and Ruth were somehow related… I don’t know why… but I learned today that they most certainly are not. Also, the book of Esther doesn’t ever mention the word “God” or “Lord”…Thanks Professor Harstad!

What I Learned About God Today:

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.
Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.
-Psalm 40:2,3,5

No comments: