Monday, April 12, 2010

right on target...

Today was the first game in the new Target Field. I cannot contain my excitement. I’m a little bit of a baseball fan… OK I’m a big baseball fan! We went to a lot of games when I was a kid- we’d get “knothole tickets” from SA… I think they were free for kids or something like that. We would get a bunch of free stuff- color your own Twins postcards, Kirby Puckett Silver Slugger bats (that we foolishly used and broke…) and countless Twins hats from DQ. Lots of good times in good ole days up in the cheap seats of the Dome when the Twins were electric. Once we sat front row over the Twin’s dugout and my dad had us tie pens and paper to string and lower it down in front of the dugout in hopes of getting an autograph. Unless I imagined that… I’m not sure… Anyway as a kid we had a lot of fun at Twins games. I remember the Star Wars theme playing after every homerun. I get chills thinking about it…
But then 1994 came and the Twins started to suck -really really badly. My buddies and I went to a couple of games in high school, but they were definitely not top of the list. We’d go to see other teams play. But I remember vividly the day I got back into the game. My brother got tickets for my dad and me and we went to a game vs. the Royals. Guys like Jacque Jones, Corey Koskie and Torii Hunter were just starting out and people started to notice that the Twins were interesting again. I don’t remember what happened at the game, but it was a great night with my brother and dad- we had the super big ridiculous jumbo hot dogs that made us all sick… good times. From that point on I was again addicted and have been ever since.
I won’t bore you with more Twins memories, but I do indeed love the game and I love the Twins very much, and I’m super pumped that we have one of the best facilities in the game. It’s going to be a fun year- rainouts and all!

No comments: