Monday, April 12, 2010

hundo!

hmmm post # 100... better make it good, I guess! I was eating lunch with my normal crew of old people and professors and Andy O the graphic design guru and all around super smart guy brought up something that has been bouncing around in my brain… Right now Bethany is putting on a play that has to do with the Holocaust. After the performance they have a Q&A with a survivor of Auschwitz. I guess it’s made for some pretty amazing conversation. After Sunday’s show, however she was asked if she identifies or feels akin to other peoples who have been victims of genocide- like those in Rwanda or Cambodia and the such… Her answer was a bit shocking. She said something to the effect of she has been wrestling with the idea of the morality of outside forces invading other countries even if they are “liberating” them. She said that those who aren’t in the situation don’t fully know the situation and maybe its just the universe’s way of maintaining equilibrium and population control isn’t necessarily a bad thing… I’m summarizing, of course, but that was the gist.
How crazy is that?? Of all people who would understand the idea of righteous war and the notion of a liberation force- certainly a holocaust survivor… right? It really makes me tremble when we can’t even agree that murder is a negative thing that shouldn’t be tolerated. I mean genocide is an acceptable form of population control? Says on who was going to be eradicated by a crazed dictator? Nutzo. Post-Modernism and it’s relative truth is scary. There are so many reasons why I don’t envy my jr high, sr high and college kids. They have to deal with so much more crap (for lack of a better term) than I ever had to- social pressures and academic worries and financial burdens… but philosophically, they have to deal with this lack of any absolutes for their entire lives, and it just makes my heart sad. If we had a 30% confirmation rate in my generation- without a 3 minute news cycle and cyber-bullying… what is this generation going to be like when they’re being bombarded with moral relativism and a co-exist-acceptance doctrine. Yikes. Lord quickly come!
...kind of a downer of a post for #100... i'll make 101 extra happy... :)

No comments: