Thursday, April 8, 2010

CW #355

This one is from the archives...

Take the world, but give me Jesus,
All its joys are but a name;
But His love abideth ever,
Through eternal years the same.

Oh, the height and depth of mercy!
Oh, the length and breadth of love!
Oh, the fullness of redemption,
Pledge of endless life above!

Take the world, but give me Jesus,
Sweetest comfort of my soul;
With my Savior watching o’er me,
I can sing though billows roll.

Oh, the height and depth of mercy!
Oh, the length and breadth of love!
Oh, the fullness of redemption,
Pledge of endless life above!

Take the world, but give me Jesus,
Let me view His constant smile;
Then throughout my pilgrim journey
Light will cheer me all the while.

Oh, the height and depth of mercy!
Oh, the length and breadth of love!
Oh, the fullness of redemption,
Pledge of endless life above!

Take the world, but give me Jesus.
In His cross my trust shall be,
Till, with clearer, brighter vision,
Face to face my Lord I see.

Oh, the height and depth of mercy!
Oh, the length and breadth of love!
Oh, the fullness of redemption,
Pledge of endless life above!

"If I had a choice, I would still choose to re­main blind… for when I die, the first face I will ev­er see will be the face of my bless­ed Sav­ior."
-Fanny Crosby

I must admit this hymn is one of my favorites. Many a sad and lonely time has been traversed with this hymn in my heart. We can praise God in the midst of trial, we can see the blood of Jesus washing our sins away- and with this wonderful hymn we put it all in perspective. Take the world, but give me Jesus!
A women of faith by the name of Fanny Crosby wrote this hymn in 1800’s New York. In May of 1820, when she was six weeks old, she caught a cold, and her eyes became slightly inflamed. The regular physician in Putnam County, New York, was out of town, and a man posing as a doctor gave her the wrong treatment. Within days, her eyesight was destroyed, and the man fled town in a panic.
Fanny was never bitter about the stranger's intervention. "I have not for a moment in more than eighty-five years felt a spark of resentment against him, because I have always believed...that the good Lord...by this means consecrated me to the work that I am still permitted to do."
She spent her childhood in the New York school for the blind she was a tremendously talented student. She spent her adult years teaching and lobbying in Washington DC for the blind. She lived to be 95 years old. In her life she composed over 7000 hymns and she was friend to 8 presidents!

She was truly an amazing woman of faith. She had modest fame and acquired quite a fortune, but she never lost sight of the one who gave her the fame
She never forgot the most important fortune- the crown of life waiting for us in heaven

The words she wrote almost 150 years ago are still so very relevant to us today. Never in our history has so much stuff been available to so many people-
TV’s, cars, shoes... you name it and you can get it- it’s no longer just the rich and famous living rich and famous lifestyles.
Satan is dancing ‘round this world as our greed and materialism increases.
But what REALLY matters?
Jesus died on the cross.
He took away our sins.
He rose again.
He conquored once and for all sin, death and the devil.
He came to this earth, lived a perfect life suffered a criminal’s death and died
So that we don’t have to!!!!

Of course, He wants us to live a long life on the earth, He wants us to enjoy our time here. After all, He gave us a beautiful creation to enjoy and so many friends and family to make memories with...
It is not our duty to count down the days until our end nor sit around and wait to die, rather it’s our charge to tell everyone about the saving truths of the gospel!
Regardless,There is nothing here on this earth we can take with us.
It is our privilege as redeemed children of God to live in the world but not get caught up in the world. It is our honor to share the good news of Jesus’ death
We can say with full assurance that this world is not all there is!And someday, when He calls us home, we know we will be welcomed with His loving arms
"Oh the height and depth of mercy, oh the length and breath of love oh the FULLNESS of redemption pledge of endless life above!"
May these words be forever on our hearts.

No comments: