Friday, October 29, 2010

Televisiony

I respect those who have no emotional attachment to television, but I am fully enmeshed with the ole boobtube.
For instance, right now I'm watching Cheers. I have been watching Cheers since I was like 10 years old. Certainly I didn't really understand it as a lad, but during high school it was on before Leno and I'd watch it almost every night. I have to believe I've seen every episode. Just like I've seen every MASH (It was on from 5-6 on weekdays when I was in high school) and every episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation because it was on at 9 when I was in high school... man, I wonder why my high school grades weren't better..
I also have a strong affinity for Hogan's Hero's and the Andy Griffith Show because I would watch them every day before I went to work at the milk factory back in the day.
My roommate and I watched Matlock together the other day. Of all the ridiculous shows that my mom LOVES to watch, Matlock is the one I can tolerate. I've watched countless episodes with her over the years. My dad is a big old time TV fan- the Waltons and Bonanza are a couple of his favorites, I never go into them, however. Old school Nick at Night was good stuff- Patty Duke, My Three Sons, Mr. Ed, and Green Acres... ahhh memories. I don't know if its good or not that some of the most vivid family memories I have are when we're sitting around watching TV- that one invention completely changed the world... nutty.
Needless to say, they don't make shows like they used to. I like According to Jim as a sit com- it was still good for the whole family- but is any show currently on prime-time even remotely family oriented? I can't think of any. Even shows on Disney and Nickelodeon are sometimes a bit risque... its really unfortunate. I suppose at some point in my life I'll have to decide whether or not my family will be TV watchers... of course by that time every single show ever made will be on BluRay or available for instant download. Maybe my kids will be the ones to keep Magnum PI and Gomer Pyle, USMC alive. now THAT's a life purpose!

No comments: