Thursday, September 23, 2010

At First listen...

You remember my distaste for Bebo Norman's newer work... WELL, at first Listen to his new album “Ocean” (comes out on Tuesday), I’m pleasantly surprised. He is still a far cry from the sophisticated simplicity of his first two or three albums as a singer/songwriter, but this is a nice step in the right direction. Quite honestly, his last studio album (self-titled and the first from the giant label BEC) was pretty terrible, so really it was hard to get any worse. I have to accept that he’s merely a singer now, the songwriter part has been shouldered by several folks. I look forward to reading the album liner to see who he wrote with.  Keeping that in mind, overall I’d give it a B-… He definitely goes deeper than he has in the past 5 years, but the tunes are still merely off-the-shelf repetitive pop hooks.

“Sing Over Me” and “God of My Everything” have definite potential. The first single, "Here Goes" I'm not too much a fan of, but it is a fine pop song.  I suppose I’ll go see him when he comes back to MSP… for the 10th time...

No comments: