Tuesday, December 27, 2011

now i know...

I just came across this article that exposes the top 10 words people mispronounce.  Thankfully, I'm pretty good on most of them.  However, I JUST- like within the past month- realized this one... Man do I feel silly:

FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES
  • Incorrect pronunciation: “for all intensive purposes”
  • Correct pronunciation: “for all intents and purposes”
All right, yes, I cheated a little bit here (for posterity’s sake, I should note that a phrase and a word are not the same thing) but this is still a very popular pronunciation mistake and one that I really feel must be addressed in a public forum. While “intensive” is absolutely a word, the clichéd saying that most people are trying to channel is all about intent. As for the rumor that I, as a younger man, frequently employed the incorrect pronunciation… no comment.

No comments: