Tuesday, December 27, 2011

the good stuff

Spoiler alert: I got my niece and nephew two books for Christmas- both by S.L. Jones. My favorite is the Jesus Storybook Bible, which turns the Biblical Narrative into a children's book. It's brilliant and wonderful and amazing all rolled into one. Granted, the baptism theology is Armenian, but the rest is just plain fantastic. I love the part about the Paslms (read this with a very refined British accent. Ever since I heard Ms.Jones read her own work, I can't get her accent out of my head)

"David was a shepherd, but when God looked at him, he saw a king. Sure enough, when David grew up, that's just what he became. And David was a great king. He had a heart like God's heard- full of love.
Now, that didn't mean he was perfect, because he did some terrible things. No, David made a big mess of his life. But God can take even the biggest mess and make it work in his plan.
'I need a new heart, Lord,' David prayed, 'because mine is full of sin. Make me clean inside.'
God heard David's prayer. He forgave David...
David was a songwriter, too... David's songs are like prayers... and this one is called 'The Song of the Shepherd:'
God is my Shepherd
And I am his little lamb.
He feeds me
He guides me
He looks after me.
I have everything I need.

Inside, my heart is very quiet.
As quiet as laying still in soft, green grass
In a meadow
By a little stream.

Even when I walk through
the dark, scary lonely places
I won't be afraid
Because my Shepherd knows where I am.

He is here with me
He keeps me safe
He rescues me
And makes me strong
And brave...

He fills my heart so full of happiness
I can't hold it all inside.

Wherever I go I know
God's never stopping
Never giving up
Unbreaking
Always and Forever
Love
Will go, too!"

Now that is the good stuff.


Check out some cool videos and illustrations here: http://www.jesusstorybookbible.com/index.php?option=com_video

No comments: