Tuesday, January 4, 2011

tops in 2010

I know these are the un-interesting types of bla(h)g posts, but writing this little post makes all the hundreds of dollars I spent on movies and music this year all worth it... so quit your whinning. :)

Top Albums
My top 6 albums of 2010-

1- Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons.  There is no weak song on this album.  Its like you need to rest after listening to it, its so intense for so long.  An absolute amazing debut album, I can't wait for the next.  I would be really surprised if this isn't one of the best albums of the decade.  Its that good.
Favorite lyric:
Love it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you,
It will set you free
Be more like the man you were made to be.

2- Counting Stars by Andrew Peterson. I talked about this album when it came out, and I have only grown to love it more and more. There is little I can say about AP that isn't just doting praise. He is a true renaissance man who has such a deep and unique perspective on our God, but is able to translate it into what seems to be a simple lyric... Just amazing. Its not often a singer/songwriter can be considered a blessing, but that is exactly what I consider Andrew Peterson.
Favorite Lyric:
Well I remember how they scorned the Son of Mary
He was gentle as a lamb, gentle as a lamb
He was beaten, He was crucified and buried
And in the night my hope was gone

But the rulers of this earth could not control Him
No they did not take His life, He laid it down
And all the chains of death could never hope to hold Him
So in the night my hope lives on

3- B.o.B- The Adventures of Bobby Ray. How one can go from Andrew Peterson to B.o.B is really hard to explain, but man this is a solid album. It's simple pop music. There's nothing complicated or all that special about it, but yet it struck a chord with me this year. It is a complete album- from start to finish there isn't really a weak song. I like that there's no profanities and as a whole, the subject matter is above the grossness that has become standard in pop music today. Plus there's some really cool collabs with Rivers Coumo from Weezer, Lupe Fiasco (a long time favorite of mine), Rhianna and Eminem. Its a fun, light album that really is fantastic!
Favorite Lyric:
Cause I was in the cold
Tryin to keep my toes unfroze
Now I’m in your house
Now I’m in your stove
Now I’m everywhere that your ipod goes
Everything I seen was a dream
Just a moment ago

4- Lecrae- Rehab. Lecrae is a Christian rapper. Seeing that one of two things use to come to mind. 1- he's gotta be really lame and his rhymes gotta be weak, or 2- its just preaching to a beat. Lecrae changed my mind about the whole Christian rap genre. Not only did he sell out EVERY stop on his last tour, but he is top 10 in total sales for ALL of rap this year- secular or otherwise, he's top 10. That's amazing! He is really good, and this album is truly a masterpiece. I really thing it is going to open big doors for the Christian rap world to be in the secular setting, and that is really special.
Favorite Lyric:
But God sees through my foolish pride,
And I'm weak life Adam another victim of Lucifer's foolish lies
But then in steps Jesus,
All men were created to lead but we need somebody to lead us
More than a teacher,
But somebody who buy us back from the darkness,
Say He redeemed us,

5- Zac Brown Band- You Give What You Get. It really is nothing special, but it's fun and sing-alongable. It has a Jimmy Buffett feel, and I love that. Just a fun listen.
Favorite Lyric:
Wrote a note, said "Be back in a minute"
Bought a boat and I sailed off in it
Don't think anybodies gonna miss me anyway
Mind on a permanent vacation
The ocean is my only medication
Wishin' my condition aint ever gonna go away

Now I'm knee deep in the water somewhere
Got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair
Only worry in the world
is the tide gonna reach my chair

6- Arcade Fire- The Suburbs. I don't know... I hated it then I loved it, and now I'm really appreciating it. Any album that causes this much internal strife really has to be on my top list... Its just... its so complicated, this album... Gah, I need to go listen to it again.
Favorite Lyric: None. I hate them all... no wait, I love them all... AHHH!


Favorite Movies- (I'll keep this short, lest i NEVER post!)
1- King's Speech.  Truly moving.
2- Inception.  So many twists and turns...
3- Toy Story 3.  A cartoon made me cry.
4- True Grit.  Well, just the dialogue... the movie as a whole was kind of disappointing, but the dialogue is AMAZING.
5- Book of Eli.  Thoroughly entertaining and engrossing
6- Tron. Was it Oscar-worthy? no.  Was it fun?  yes.


Favorite Singles-
1- Nelly- Just a Dream.
2- Airplanes- B.o.B
3- Love the Way You Lie- Eminem/Rihana
4- Last Frontier- Andrew Peterson
5- Forget You- Cee Lo
6- Go To Sleep- Arcade Fire
7- I Will Find A Way- Andy Gullahorn and Jill Phillips
8- Just the Way You Are- Brun Mars
9- Colder Weather- Zac Brown Band
10- Ooh Ahh by Grits.  (This came out in 2002, but i just discovered it... :) )



WHEW  That took way too long.
go back to doing something meaningful with your day. :)

No comments: