Wednesday, January 5, 2011

know what I mean, Verne?

A man whom I greatly respected was called to his eternal home today.  Verne was a pastor and Hebrew scholar and just an all around really great guy to know.  He always made me feel like I was important.  He was a sort-of interim pastor at our church for over a year and he'd often come in to my office and play guitar for me as we talked theology.  I just served communion with him a couple of weeks ago and he communed me and almost made me cry with the blessing he gave over me.  I actually was going to blog about it, but I got lazy.  He was a tremendous orator- he perfected the 4 syllable- "Je-ee-sus-sa".
After church I told him about my plans to be an apologist and he was bursting with enthusiasm.  "We need minds like yours, Korman!  God's got a plan for you!" he said.  He also shed a tear when he talked about his wife's miraculous recovery from cancer and the turn around his son is going through- coming back to church.  His wife is now in intensive care...
We made plans for him to tutor me in Hebrew.  In fact I was going to call him tomorrow to arrange a meeting.  I wonder what the language of Heaven is... Verne speaking Hebrew with Daniel and Isaiah is a pretty cool thought...
Pretty sad day though, for us who knew and so dearly appreciated him.  He was the king of schmoozers, I aspire to his greatness.  He also always smelled very good.  I think it was his hand lotion... good stuff.  I could smell him coming before he entered a room- in a good way.
It is always a cool thing when a pastor dies, however.  The culmination of our faith's journey ends with the mortal passing in to eternity.  Verne is with He whom he professed and loved, and that is pretty cool.  He was a tremendous blessing to me, and he will be missed.

No comments: