Monday, August 29, 2011

Solid Declaration

hmm... post #400.  Nice.
I love being a Lutheran for so many reasons.  I'm not talking the cheeky, stereotypical, give a chuckle reasons either.  In fact, I'm not the type of Lutheran who eats lefse, and I hate Sauerkraut so there goes those.  I smile and don't mind clapping, so those are gone as well.  No, I love being a Lutheran of the conservative ilk, because it means that I have been blessed to have been given and taught the proper understanding of God's Word.  Yep, I'm going to say it.  If you're not a (conservative) Lutheran, than you do not have a proper understanding God's Word.  Namely, you misunderstand the sacraments and (probably) conversion.  I'm not saying I'm better than you or that my tribe is greater than your tribe, I'm just saying that, quite frankly, you have been misled, thus you're missing out on a wonderful piece of God's overwhelming grace.  I'm not saying we're perfect, far from it!  But we as Lutherans have a scandalous and unique understanding of how God imparts His grace on His people, and I happen to believe that it is the truth.
I realize that sounds pompous and horribly haughty, but I know what I know.  And, really, if I didn't know that Lutheranism = truth, then why would I be a Lutheran?  If I thought the Baptist understanding of the sacraments was right, you'd hope I was a Baptist, right?
Anyway, this whole diatribe comes from a discussion we as a pastor staff were having this morning about the Lord's Supper and forgiveness.  There are those among us that feel that we are merely reminded of our forgiveness as we partake, and those (like me) who believe that our sins are tangibly and actually forgiven with the consumption of the body and blood of our Savior.  It was a great conversation because we are Lutherans!  As Lutherans we have this AMAZING collection of our statements of belief called the Lutheran Confessions.  I've always been one to roll my eyes when one speaks of the Confessions, but that was because I never dove into them.  The truth is they are amazing in their eloquence and exposition of God's Word and, truth be told, they are completely unique in all of Christendom.  What a blessing they are!
As I was reading the Confessions in regards to the Holy Supper, I came across this beautiful passage in SD VII, 69-71.  Enjoy!
The true and worthy guests, for whom this precious sacrament above all was instituted and established, are the Christians who are in weak faith, fragile and troubled, and greatly terrified in their hearts by the immensity and number of their sins, and think that they are not worthy of this precious treasure and the benefits of Christ, and who feel the their weakness of faith and deplore it, and desire with all their hearts that they may serve God with stronger, more joyful and resolute faith and pure obedience.  
As Christ says, (Matt. 11:28): Come unto Me, all who are weak heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Also (Matt. 9:12): Those who are well need not a physician, but those who are sick. Also (2 Cor. 12:9): God's strength is made perfect in weakness. Also ( Rom. 14:1&3 ): welcome those who are weak in faith.., for God has received him. And, for whosoever believes in the Son of God, be it with a strong or with a weak faith, has eternal life  (John 3:15f). Moreover, worthiness does not depend upon great or small weakness or strength of faith, but upon the merit of Christ Jesus our Lord.
OK, so they really liked commas in the 16th century... But wow!

Lord, make me a true and worthy guest of your table  May I always be weak and fragile before you and troubled by my sins.  Not that they would burden or hinder me, but rather I would look at my filthy rags and I would always turn to you, leaving my weakness and sin at the empty tomb and be made whole and strong in your perfection.  May I always desire to serve you with a stronger, more joyful and resolute faith, granted to me by the power of your Holy Spirit who is living within me.  Thank you for giving me your body and blood in which I receive the forgiveness of sins, assurance of Eternity in Heaven, and the strengthening of my faith.  In the name of your perfect and risen Son, Jesus I come to you, my rock and my redeemer.
A-men.

No comments: