Saturday, November 26, 2011

a thankful monologue

Do you ever spend time pontificating the amazingness of our existence?  I mean not only do I live in this beautiful country, but I also get to live in the suburbs in a great state very comfortably.  I was raised in a wonderful family, was able to go to private schools throughout my education, was given the given the gift of faith and parents who watered it daily.  Not only that, but I’m in the 21 century- where innovation and technology is growing at bananas pace and I have the entire world at my fingertips.  No piece of information is further than a click away.  Crazy.  Sure, we’re in a recession and my house’s resale value is nil, but holy moly- I quite literally lack nothing… well, I could use a new pair of Keens… but… my thirst for shoes is quite insatiable.
It is downright mind-blowing to think that of the billions of people who have lived on this earth, I’m the only one who has my job in my town in this house with these friends and family, etc. It is just nutty.  I am drowning in blessings- I can do nothing but breathe in the goodness of God. 
So I thought it apropos to list a blessing for every kernel of corn on my plate… and maybe a couple more…

Gracious God, Heavenly Father
The Headwater to the river of blessings that overwhelms me each and every day-
I am grateful for your loving kindness.
Your gentleness, your patience, your relentless forgiving and your consuming grace.
I am humbled by your love and your desire to have a relationship with me.
You sent your one and only son to live, breath, eat, sleep, laugh, cry, die and rise so that I might be one with you through His holy and precious blood.
You did that for me.
It seems that words aren’t enough, but tonight they’re all I have.
Thank you Lord.
Thank you for life.
For the air I breathe
The food I eat
The water I drink
Who am I that you would provide these things in abundance daily?
I am not worthy of your mercy.
Thank you for death.
For it is in death that we are returned to you in perfect glory.
Because of your Son death is not some veiled unknown, rather it is a homecoming where we are welcomed eternally into your loving, nail-marked hands.
But we were created to live and not to die
So Lord let me treat each moment as what it really is:
A gift from you.
While you know the number of breaths I have left, I do not have such knowledge, so let me use each to bring you glory.
May my words bring encouragement and peace
May my presence bring joy
May my thoughts be focused on loving those whom you love
And my eyes focused on the cross.
May my hands bring blessings to others
And my feet the Good News to everyone I meet.
May You be at the center of my life,  oh Lord, until the day we meet face to face.
Thank you for my family.
We all know you, Jesus, and because of that our kinship is not just of this earth but also in the life to come.  This is chief of all blessings: to know we will share eternity.
You provided a home that was not perfect, that was not always peaceful, not always joyous, but it was a home that was built on the Rock. 
Thank you for parents who brought me to the waters of baptism.
Who were concerned with parenting me, not merely befriending me
Who set boundaries
Who disciplined me
And held me accountable for my actions
But in all things reflected you
I am who I am because of them, gracious God, and for them I am grateful.
In you all things are possible, so I pray that those homes that are broken-
Those families where children don’t feel safe
Where they go unfed and un-loved by their earthly parents
Where there is no peace, no boundaries, no grace-
Creator of the heavens and earth, I pray that you bring to them
Your peace
Your love
The stuff that passes understanding-
The safety of your goodness and mercy
The fullness of your redemption
Come quickly to help them
Heal them and restore them to you
You calmed the wind and the waves, so Lord please bring calm to the lives of those families enveloped in the storms of divorce, abuse, adultery, alcoholism, and every other rift-making device the father of lies uses.
Adonai, you have put people in my life that love, support, encourage, anchor, listen, care for, provide, pray for, and invest in me each and every day
Oh how shameful it is how often I take them for granted
It is haughty for me to ever feel alone or unloved-
Thank you for the amazing people of God that you have put in my life
Keep them close to your heart, oh Lord
May I always aim to be a blessing to them
And to let them know whenever possible how much of a blessing they are to me.
Lord make me quick to listen and slow to speak
That I could be for them what they have so often been for me.
Give me ears to listen
And wise, soft words to speak.
Lord you are close to the broken hearted
And you know those relationships that are strained right now.
Bring healing and restore peace to that which was not too long ago filled with joy, love, and closeness
You are able to do immeasurably more than I can fathom, oh God
I know this to be true
not my will, but yours be done.
Thank you for music, my Lord and my God. 
It is an amazing blessing given to us by you.
Your heavenly angels sang to announce your birth
How can I keep from singing?
Thank you for the gift of a musical heart
And for the outlet that it provides for me
It reminds me of you, Lord, music does-
I cannot see it but it fills me up
Just as you are invisible, but your benefits fill me to the brim and then some.
Thank you for your Word
I don’t mean to put this so far down the list-
But you- God- unimaginable, unthinkable, unfathomable-
God
you speak to us in your Holy Word
In books that collect dust
And prop up chairs
Sanctify me in the truth- your word is truth
Give me a thirst for the truth and make me always consciously aware of your Spirit living inside of me
Cause Him to stir within me the desire to serve you with gratitude and honor you with everything I think, say, and do
Make my words and desires actions.
Thank you, Lord.
There is so much beauty in this world, Precious Redeemer-
The mountains.  Oh, the mountains...
The oceans
Flowers that boom in season
Vegetables and fruits in their brilliant colors
The awesome muscular frames of tigers and panthers
The stripes of a zebra
The antlers of a moose
The gentle eyes of a horse
The songs of the robins
The enormity of a whale
The breathtaking sunsets
The films that cause tears
And the paintings that cause one to stand in pensive silence
The perfect symmetry of the human body
And the striking beauty of deep blue eyes
Orchestras that cause goose bumps
And the amazing worlds that CGI can take us
The thrill of a roller coaster
And the ability to savor memories through pictures
All these things are from you, Lord
And we are not able to express our gratitude.
Thank you for the internet
Where people can support and pray and share in joy and heartbreak
Where we can stay connected
Face to face
In real time.
And forgive us for the wretched use of such a wonderful gift, oh Righteous Judge.
Thank you for:
Jokes
Stories
Books
Songs
Games
Scrabble
Laughing
Pumpkin pie scented candles
Guitars
Memory foam beds
Live streaming tv shows
Blogs
Walks
Bros
Cars
Mousetraps
Secretaries
Quotes
Trivia
Medicine
Icebergs
Juicers
The post office
Roommates
Retreats
Trampolines
Camps
Camp counselors
Campfires
Camp directors
Democrats
Republicans
People who want to make money
People who want to give money away
Police and firemen
Military personnel
Our leaders and lawmakers
Safety
Freedom
Churches
Gyms
Schools
Vespers
Teachers
Pastors
Professors
Encouragers
Those who are hard to love
Hugs
A good pair of blue jeans
Track pants
Inner peace- the kind that only comes from you
Uncertainty- because it makes me realize you are changeless
Pilot Uniball Micro 207 pens:  Best. Ever.
College degrees
iPods
Amazon Mp3
Nashville
MacBooks
Jr vs Sr night with Tim
Coaches
Love
Wool socks

I just fell asleep for a second, so I’m going to wrap this up, Big Guy.
You are good.
You are holy.
I am a sinner in need of a savior.
Use me, God. use me.
Thank you for loving me, Abba.
Keep us steadfast in your Word.
Keep them safe- the ones you put in my life
Build around them a hedge of protection from the assaults of the evil one.
May my value be found the price you paid for me
And my wholeness be always rooted solely in you.

Day by day, your mercies, Lord, attend me,
bringing comfort to my anxious soul.
Day by day, the blessings, Lord, you send me
draw me nearer to my heav’nly goal.
Love divine, beyond all mortal measure,
brings to naught the burdens of my quest;
Savior, lead me to the home I treasure,
where at last I’ll find eternal rest.

Day by day, I know you will provide me
strength to serve and wisdom to obey;
I will seek your loving will to guide me
o’er the paths I struggle day by day.
I will fear no evil of the morrow,
I will trust in your enduring grace.
Savior, help me bear life’s pain and sorrow
till in glory I behold your face.

Oh, what joy to know that you are near me
when my burdens grow too great to bear;
oh, what joy to know that you will hear me
when I come, O Lord, to you in prayer.
Day by day, no matter what betide me,
you will hold me ever in your hand.
Savior, with your presence here to guide me,
I will reach at last the promised land.

In your mercy, Lord, hear my prayer.
A-Men








No comments: