Friday, November 11, 2011

just call me Mr. Knight

wellp- today was my first day of coaching JV girls bball at my alma mater.  Between you and me, I'm very overwhelmed.  I really wavered on taking the job, but after seeking the advice and the encouragement of several coach friends that I have, I decided to take the leap.  I'm not at total rookie.  I've run camps and I've had 3 middle school teams... I figure that strengths are the ability to inspire, my knowledge of the fundamentals, and my willingness to be patient with this young team.  But I'm nervous about running a practice.  There's so much to coaching that I just feel ill-prepared for.  I don't have a lot of plays in my back pocket and I just don't have the knack for drills that the coaches I admire have.  I will... all in good time.... Today, we made first cuts today and one girl cried... heartbreaking...
Alas, everyone that I've shared my concerns with have been very supportive and the girls are down right pumped to be on my squad.  I hope they're as enthusiastic come January.  My biggest thing is maintaining their confidence in me, you know?  I hate the thought of people sitting around saying, "He has no idea what he's doing..."  ugh.
I feel good about the team, though.  We're young, but we have decent size and a lot of speed.  We can run the fast break with ease, which is nice and we should out rebound every opponent... so, we'll see...  I'm just glad to have something to tackle.  This is a big challenge- one that will take a lot of work on my part- lots of research and preparation.  Not to mention time management and organization.  Most of all, this will require patience and stamina.  Its a 22 game season.  Every week night is booked until the middle of March.  Talk about a marathon.  But I'm pumped.  Also, I hate losing.  Especially if I know we're the better team.  Hopefully that will translate into wins.  I haven't been on the winning side of many teams in my life, so I have the intense desire to turn that tide. I just really want to prove myself worthy of this position that I'm honored to hold.  Winning is only half of it- personal growth from myself and my players is the other important piece...If you had fun, you won... right? :)

As of today we have a perfect season.  Here's to keeping the perfection alive...
I'll keep you posted. 

The sweetest part so far is the awesome team polo shirt I got. :)
I love team apparel. 

gts.

No comments: