Monday, February 20, 2012

Phil.

Philippians 3:12 as paraphrased by Eugene Peterson in The Message:
Focused on the Goal
 12-14I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.  15-16So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.
 17-19Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.
 20-21But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.

I really like Peterson's take on this.   "Easy Street is a dead end street."  That's wonderful imagery...
Anyway, as I read this portion of Scripture- I actually read from the NCV- verse 12-15-  
12 I do not mean that I am already as God wants me to be. I have not yet reached that goal, but I continue trying to reach it and to make it mine. Christ wants me to do that, which is the reason he made me his.13 Brothers and sisters, I know that I have not yet reached that goal, but there is one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead,14 I keep trying to reach the goal and get the prize for which God called me through Christ to the life above.

Tonight, the idea of reaching that goal and the joy that is waiting at that finish line... unfathomable joy resonates.  I mean, that is what we are living for.  The fruition of our faith is eternity in Heaven.  We are all in the race, but we're in different parts- some are closer to the finish line than others, and still others have already crossed.  And me, at mile marker 31- I wish some of the people who have already crossed the line were still running beside me... but that's selfish because their race is complete.  Their struggle and training and falls and successes and all that goes into a lifetime of running is over.  They enjoying the fruits of the labor.  But, man, do I miss them sometimes. Soon enough I will join them... but every once in a while I wish they were here to run with me until I cross the finish line, you know?  Everyone knows that it is more enjoyable to have someone to run with you- to help pace you and to talk to you and keep you on course- and you can mutually encourage each other... sometimes I miss that pace partner who's race is over. 
Alas, I keep the focus.  I run on.  Enjoying the memory of when we were running together and looking forward to spending eternity not running- out of breath, tired, and weary- but in paradise- fully nourished, in perfect joy, and basking in the Light of God.  Until then, "stick with me friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal." 

This is a tune I appreciate tonight:

No comments: