Tuesday, May 25, 2010

things i think i think about dudes who are married but pretend like their don't want to be... or, Real Men Love Their Wives.

So I spend more time with married people than I do single, so I am often subject to the banter and rhetoric of the betrothed male. We’ve all heard it, stuff like, “how’s the ole’ ball and chain?” or “gotta call the warden” or “dude you’re so whipped”… etcetera.
The fact is, and I don’t know where or when this started, but in today’s society gender roles mandate that a wife should be controlling and untrusting, while the husband should be ambivalent, oblivious, detached, and in a constant state of regret over his wedding vows. Correct me if I’m wrong about this.

I can't say much about the womanly side of things. I'm not a female, and never will be... but I am a dude, and i hear dudes talk smack about their wives all the time, and quite frankly, I think its crap. In fact, I’m sick of my man friends bemoaning their wives publically while, no doubt, caring and nurturing for them privately. That’s the thing- these guys all love their wives, and if you corner them, they’ll fully admit they enjoy being needed and having someone to check in with. They like being told when to come home and they enjoy coming home to her. So why is it taboo to let those feelings come across when they are with their fellow men? I know some awesome guys, men who have been married for decades, guys who are loving and caring and not afraid to show it… until they're around “the guys”... then it’s the same old groaning and moaning about being married to their mothers. What gives?
And those guys who are respectful to their wives, grow a pair and defend yourself! You have the self-confidence and TRUE manliness to actually be proud of the love that lets you share a last name; something that I find commendable and admirable. Keep it up and tell your buddies to stop sipping the Haterade.

Granted, I’m not married. But man I hope that someday… whilst the devil ice skates, no doubt, I don’t fall into that trap. It really does sicken me to hear how these guys disrespect and objectify their wives. If anything it’s sickening because I know that they don’t mean it. They feel the need to be “manly men”, and "manly men" don’t speak kindly about their womenfolk, they demoralize them and commiserate with the other happily married (but don’t tell their buddies) because it’s what “MEN” do. Not cool. Anyway, if someday you hear me complaining about my ball-and-chain, slap me. Thanks.

No comments: